Licensing eased for community events

Posted: 31st January 2013

One of the most annoying aspects of organising community events can be the involvement in the bureaucracy of obtaining a licence for the event.

Lecture HallHowever, the Government has agreed that community venues (such as schools and church halls) should not be required to seek a licence for such events. At present, a Temporary Event Licence is required, which must be applied for at least 10 days prior to the event. These can cost up to £200.

There are also plans to simplify the bureaucracy involved in putting on events organised by businesses.

The changes will be made by amending to the Licensing Act 2003 and will remove the requirement to obtain an entertainment licence, between 8am and 11pm, for indoor sport activities for audiences of 1,000 or fewer, plays and dance performances to audiences of 500 fewer, and for live and recorded music in alcohol licensed premises for audiences of 500 or fewer.

The measures will also include plays, dance and indoor sport events taking place on community and local authority owned premises.