Register your tank!

Posted: 21st May 2012

country house, farm
Owners of properties in England with septic tanks dealing with domestic waste are probably unaware that they should have registered them if:
  • they discharge more than 2 cubic metres into a soakaway; or
  • they discharge more than 5 cubic metres per day via a package treatment plant; or
  • the discharge is onto a Zone 1 Ground Water Protection Zone.
Registration is a first step in an application for a discharge permit or obtaining a certificate of exemption. Registration is free and can be done online.
For further information, see the Environment Agency website.