Claims for Riot Damage

Posted: 18th August 2011

If your property has been damaged in the recent riots, you may well find that your insurance policy will not cover your losses. If not, you will have the right to claim compensation from the relevant Police authority (and the Government is extending the time limit for claimPolice cars from 14 to 42 days) under the Riot (Damages) Act 1886. The time limit runs from the day the damage occurs.
If your building or other property was damaged in the recent disturbances, there is little time to lose if you want to claim compensation.