Wills and estate planning
How many times have you said “I must make a will”? It's one of those jobs that tends to remain on the to do list probably because we don’t appreciate how important it is. There are very good reasons to make a will and for having the job properly done by expert lawyers.
One size doesn't fit all, of course, and we'll always deliver a tailor-made will whatever your requirements but so that you have an idea of the likely cost of your individual needs we offer three types of will and price ranges. See below for a summary of each. We offer discounted prices where couples make mirror or similar wills at the same time.
Ideal if you're starting out in life or want to keep it simple, our first-level service will cover the following:
- Appointment of executors - the trusted person or people who will carry out your wishes
- Appointment of guardians to look after any children who are under 16 at your death
- Burial, cremation and memorial arrangements
- Provision for man's best friend and other faithful companions
- Gifts of your property to relatives, friends, charities
- Personal signature service or detailed written guidance on valid execution of your will
- Indefinite secure storage of the original and a copy for you to keep and refer to
- Guidance on when to review and update
Price guide: £125 to £250 + VAT
For those who are further along life's path and have more aspects to consider, making a little more attention worthwhile:
- All the features of our Standard service, and more
- Contingent gifts - for example, postponing a child's legacy until he or she reaches a specific age
- Lifetime gifts, perhaps to ensure that children of an earlier marriage benefit after a surviving spouse's death
- Effective exclusion of people who might be expected to benefit (and may otherwise bring a claim against your estate)
- Trusts, often to provide for disabled persons or others who are unable to manage their finances
Price guide: £250 to £500 + VAT
Where you need the comprehensive overview of all financial and fiscal aspects of your life our top-level service delivers all the features of our standard service and more with advice and document drafting from our experts.
Additional features may include:
- Planning and equalization of lifetime gifts
- Nil rate band and inheritance tax planning
- Business asset management
Price guide: From £500 + VAT
A recent study found that a quarter of wills are invalid for technical legal reasons or didn't accurately record what the person making the will - the testator - wanted. It's important that you have these things taken care of by a specialist lawyer regulated by the Law Society and required to carry professional indemnity insurance just in case anything should go wrong.
We have experts who only deal with wills, trusts, probate and similar matters and will meet with you face-to-face wherever possible - at home if necessary - to discuss your needs, ensure you get the right advice and draft the paperwork to give effect to your wishes. We have membership of STEP - The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. View/download a copy of the current STEP Will Writing Code here.
Initially you'll talk to one of our support team who will identify your basic requirements and select the right expert to help you. If it's easier, you can email us. We'll usually answer your first enquiry same day or within 24 hours.
For further free guidance on which of our packages best suits you and to arrange an appointment with one of our specialist lawyers email us or telephone 01460 200450 now, without obligation. Don't put off making a will any longer!