Courts and tribunals fee remissions updated
Posted: 7th July 2014
With effect from 30 June, the HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) fee remission application process has been simplified.
The main changes are:
- It is no longer necessary to provide original copies of documents. Photocopies will be accepted;
- Applicants no longer have to declare the exact amount of disposable capital they have available. It is sufficient to indicate the relevant 'threshold' in which it falls;
- Printed copies of statements from online banking systems are now accepted;
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) letters can now be dated within the last three months. Previously, a letter from the DWP confirming receipt of benefits for benefits-related remissions had to be dated within the last month;
- The application form has been made clearer and simpler; and
- If a piece of information is missing, HMCTS will attempt to contact the applicant rather than reject the claim.
The new form should be used from 30 June 2014. From 14 July 2014, applications made using the old form will no longer be accepted.
The form and guidance can be found here.